October 1, 2012

Is Punctuality important for Architects?

Image Courtesy: Kiran Gandhi
Last forty five days I was on a tour to Europe. I had a chance to spend more than 10 days in Germany.
I must say, I was touched by the German punctuality. It began from an incident when I was travelling from Nürnberg  to Prague by bus.  As per the travel schedule, the bus was to depart at 12.41PM and arrive in Prague at 16.18 PM.  I was surprised to see the timings to be so exact which also made me a little sceptic as it was difficult to imagine how a bus can travel on 300km long highway distance with unforeseen conditions and still make an accurate judgment of the arrival time?
Only to my complete surprise, the bus gave the station exactly on 12.41 and arrived in Prague at 16.15pm. By the time the driver parked the bus and shut the engine down, it was exactly 16.18pm!!!
Wow, what a management system!!
Most architects are known for their ‘last-minute work’ attitude and are often blamed for delays in the project. The German experience of punctuality inspired me to research about why architects and designers can’t work on a time schedule and what can be done to improve this situation.
For a next few months, I will be sharing with you my research as my blogs about Time-Management for Architects.
I am putting this forum open for the discussion. I will appreciate your views on the subject. Keep sharing your experiences, comments, suggestions and Keep Reading ‘Architectural Management’.

Read Next Blog: How Busy Are We?



No comments:

Post a Comment